There's no place like a temperature-controlled safety deposit box!
A truly astounding lot of Wizard of Oz (1939) screenplays is up for grabs in December from Profiles in History — and it's expected to fetch over a $1 million.
Included in the lot are four drafts of Wizard of Oz screenplays by writer Noel Langley (1911-1980), one by writers Florence Ryerson (1892-1965) and Edgar Allan Woolf (1881-1943), and 16 photos of the film's legendary special effects (yes, including the tornado).
The treasure trove currently belongs to an anonymous collector who was able to buy it from Forrest J. Ackerman (1916-2008), the esteembed host and memorabilia collector.
The auction will take place December 11-14 in L.A., and the lot is estimated to sell for between $800,000-$1.2 million.
The auction has many other gems, including:
- Greta Garbo (1905-1990) Adrian (1903-1959)-designed coronation cape from Queen Christina (1933)
- Irving Thalberg’s (1899-1936) Best Picture Academy Award from Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
- Groucho Marx (1890-1977) “S. Quentin Quale” tailcoat worn in Go West (1940)
- Margaret Hamilton (1902-1985) “Wicked Witch of the West” witch’s hat from The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977) “Hynkel” military dress uniform jacket from The Great Dictator(1940)
- Lady Oona Chaplin (1925-1991) vintage couture Dior “Palmyre” evening gown & shoes worn on opening night of A King in New York (1957)
- Clark Gable (1901-1960) “Mike Brannan” miniature effects race car from To Please a Lady (1950)
- Gloria Swanson (1899-1983) “Norma Desmond” evening jacket and Best Actress Golden Globe from Sunset Boulevard (1950)
- Hero Nautilus crewman “baldy style” dive helmet from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
- Screen-used “Lawgiver” statue from Dr. Zaius’ office in The Planet of the Apes (1968)
- Sean Connery (b. 1930) “James Bond 007” signature suit from You Only Live Twice (1967)
- Barbra Streisand (b. 1942) “Dolly Levi” costume from Hello, Dolly! (1969)
- William Shatner (b. 1931) “Captain Kirk” Starfleet tunic with insignia and rank braid from Star Trek: The Original Series (1966-1969)
- Type-2 Phaser pistol from Star Trek: The Original Series (1966-1969)
- Mark Hamill (b. 1951) “Luke Skywalker” production-used lightsaber from the first Star Wars (1977) from the collection of set decorator Roger Christian (b. 1944)
- Screen-used Stormtrooper helmet from Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) signed by Harrison Ford (b. 1942), Carrie Fisher (1956-2016), Mark Hamill, and other cast members, with Lucasfilm letter of authenticity
- Sigourney Weaver (b. 1949) “Ripley” signature combat costume ensemble from Aliens.
- Original Sylvester Stallone (b. 1946) “Rambo” survival knives from First Blood (1982) and Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)
- Robin Wright (b. 1966) “Princess Buttercup” signature red dress from The Princess Bride (1987)
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (b. 1947) “Terminator” hero modified Winchester shotgun from Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
- Hero metal rocket pack and costume ensemble from The Rocketeer (1991) with Disney documentation